Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A Grief Transformed*


In the beginning, the heaviness of sadness pulls me down.  My heart is broken, and I am physically exhausted from the tears that are continually on my face.  I cannot see light and there seems to be no life left in me.  My world is dark.  My natural impulse is to avoid the darkness, to run from it, but with courage that I cannot comprehend, I open my eyes in this darkness.  I cannot make out anything but shadows.  There is no form and no substance.  There is a great emptiness.  This place of grief is formless and void of anything except itself and darkness fills the depths of my sorrow.  But as I sit in this place, there is breath.  Yes, my own breath as I continue to breathe, though some days I despair even of this, but in this darkness, I also sense Ruach, the breath of God that sweeps across my face and there is, in that moment, a glimmer of light.  As I feel God’s breath in this place, I begin to see that there is light and there is darkness and they exist, each in their own time; one day at a time. As I continue to sit with the periods of light and darkness, life begins to transform around me; very slowly at first.  I begin to find a firm footing on which to stand.  In the moments of light standing on this new ground, I begin to see the shoots of new life straining through the earth.  The hope of a new beginning.  Not a beginning that comes despite the sadness and the darkness, but because of it.  In this moment I begin to hope in a future that is shaped by the comforting and creative breath of God that brings life where there was not life.   That brings warmth where it was cold.  That sheds light on a path that I could not see.  I look around and realize that God has not rescued me from the darkness, but brought me through it to a of place enlightenment, wisdom, and even joy. 
________________________________________________________________________
* This writing was inspired by a paragraph in the paper, “Recovering Grief in the age of Grief Recovery”. In that paper, my friend, BruceRogers-Vaughn, describes his own journey of grief over the loss of his son.  In one paragraph he wrote:

How might joy emerge from such an experience? I do not recall when I first noticed this, but as I mustered the courage to suffer my own grief something very subtle began to happen. I discovered in the chaos, at the edge of the abyss, an unnamable creative energy. It began to dawn upon me that Genesis 1 is not a commentary about some primeval era: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep." This is where anything that deserves the name life must begin—in the void, in the darkness of chaos. It is into this darkness that we descend whenever we mourn. And if we keep our eyes open in this darkness, we find there what the text of Genesis 1 asserts: That the breath of life, the Spirit of the Creator, is moving around in there: "and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters."   



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written and so true to my experience of horrible loss...murky waters give way to barely conceivable light..Gods love transcends unbearable loss

Suzy-browneyes said...

When you open your eyes, in the gaping void --
The light of Our Creator is as a static charge -- not unlike that of winter fabric - from warmth to void of warmth.
He shows us,..
Ever watching, like a father passing along a family trait -- the skill is not only a singular item, but A trait learned & honed...
He Shows Us in the static pops & crackles
glimpses, of all the colors of potential..
glistening,
glimmering light dancing with All the wonder
of possibilities.

And Exactly what I lost sight of.

the void isn't
merely black
or
so cold it causes a traumatic shock
it makes time, distance, solid & imagined All very real & sharply drains you of your strength.

much like when you have taken all your walls away,
& Invite God into your heart,

with reverence
with my face buried into the ground at His feet,

no excuses
no hope
no light of my own creating,, Honors Him more

then when
I choose
to open my eyes

in the Void
where even Angels fear to tread.

{{ I spoke to my friend today, the one who isn't ever sure He helps.. I learned somehow to speak to him as he stands in for My Father, my brother, my friend...
I say the things I can not speak out loud within my prayer life.. because in the void I loose all of my perspectives,
So many times ..
& to use my voice brings my fears, misgivings, my monsters into the light & they lose their grip....

it is Very much a give & take, a Father-daughter, Creator - created ... ebb & flo

but not only for The Still, Dark, Void


He Asks to just keep our eye upon Him,,
my mind's eye As well,,

&
He meets Us
there

in That
Sacred place.

Almost makes things so crystal clear, I wonder why I have ever paused to Worry
or
have thought I'd gotten lost as I Mourned ... }}

Thank you

<3