Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Blessings in Unusual Places



If you have read my postings (thanks) you know that my daughter, Jessie, has a best friend named Maya. Maya's parents, Chuck & Denine, are good friends and neighbors. Chuck is a drummer for Terri Clark. Chuck was diagnosed with cancer last year. He has not been able to work because of his treatments for several months. Several weeks ago, Terri Clark did a benefit show for Chuck that included a new artist, Joanna Cotten. Tonight, Joanna did her own benefit concert for chuck. There, at 3rd and Lindsley, a small bar, we sat at a table with Chuck and Denine and other friends to hear Joanna play. Joanna is bluesy country blonde bombshell. When she did her song, "Miracle in Lee County" she passed KFC buckets through the crowd to collect a little extra money for Chuck and Denine. As the bucket passed us, people dropped a variety of bills into the bucket. I noticed that Denine was fighting tears and I felt how humbling it must be to have hundreds of people gather just because they want to support you. I reached across the table and held her hand for a moment and then a friend beside her gave her a hug.




Chuck had been playing with Joanna for a couple of songs and rejoined us at the table as Joanna sang her song, "Keep My Faith." I have heard this song only twice (until I bought her CD tonight) and both times I heard this powerful song, the entire room disappeared as I was drawn into the lyrics and Joanna's beautiful voice. The song is about trials in life and the little miracles that help us keep our faith in something larger than ourselves. Tears filled my eyes listening tonight as I thought of Chuck, Denine, Maya, and Patrick and the trials of their lives these days. Who knew you could find the spirit of God and be overcome by God's love in a little bar on a Wednesday night. What a blessing!

No comments: