Saturday, February 2, 2008

Long Days + Sleepless Nights = Free T-Shirt




(Monday, July 23, 2007 - transferred from another blog spot)


Camp Was Awsome!


I am just back from being at Youth camp with the youth from FBC Nashville. We went to Blue Horizon in Panama City Beach, FL and again we were with the FBC New Orleans youth. So, when you are in a small room with 18 7th and 8th grade guys and the bunks are stacked 3 high, you don't have a lot of personal space. I have to admit that I am not the most patient person when it comes to getting my sleep. So, some of the guys may have been frustrated with me by the time we left, but in retrospect, that stuff is just a dot compared to the infinite fun and meaning I got out of the week.


Once again, we had Tom Richter of Queens New York as our camp pastor. He is extremely funny and extremely poinant. He expands the traditional revival type evangelism to be about the whole package of walking in the way of Christ. He had wonderful messages about making wise choices (all things are permissable, but not all things are beneficial - like eating dangerously cheesy cheetos and coke every meal for three days), about materialism (How much is enough), and giving all you have to God (physicall, spiritually, and materially.) I came away with a renewed sense of dedication and peace about my life.


Our kids were good to me. They were attentive and welcoming. They wrestled with difficult issues and sought the Lord in many ways and about many things. I was blessed to be a part of their week. I was further blessed by the fact that they also seem to understand that camp does not just happen and involves the hard work of many many people and the sacrifice of vacation time. (In all honesty, it didn't seem like much of a sacrifice to me.)


Anyway, I am grateful to God for the chance to be at camp with these youth, for our church, and for our great God.

No comments: